Gae Savannahâ€™s art is worth â€˜all the tea in Chinaâ€™ so you better start saving. She creates brilliantly colored mixed media sculptures using fabrics, gems, and other things we canâ€™t identify. True to her fascination with Asia, she dreams of being a buyer for an Oriental furniture wholesaler and kills time by excavating Chinatown. Gae agreed to answer all our questions (albeit curtly) and showcased some of her fantastically engineered creations.
Tell us about how you make your art: Go shopping; mix â€˜nâ€™ match.
What’s your process: Fast failures
Who is your Art for? Current boyfriend.
What is your Art supposed to do? Amuse.
What is your art worth? All the tea in China.
What single work of art would you most like to destroy? A John Currin, but I wouldnâ€™t make the effort.
Name one â€˜crappyâ€™ “Artist:â€ Jon Pylypchuk but I love his stuff. Now name another one Angela de la Cruz. Also love.
Best museum: South American Folk Art Museum (does it exist?). Worst museum: Those tedious, somber colonial villages that you were forced to tour on elementary school field trips (with blacksmithing demonstrations).
Describe the finest moment of your artistic endeavors: In grad school when I decided I would never again make anything that looked like Art.
NOW GET DOWN AND GIVE US 19
1. Favorite ANIMAL: Deer.
2. What gets you excited? Plastic.
3. Worst Job: Art program director at a camp for fat kids. Dream Job: Buyer for an Oriental furniture wholesaler (Iâ€™d be based in Asia).
4. Best kept secret about NYC: Tompkins Square Park dog run.
5. What would you do if you found A LOT of cash in a cab? Free Tibet.
6. Favorite website: Jameswagner.com Most embarrassing favorite website: Starmatch.
7. Early bird or night owl? Early bird (wannabe).
8. Motto, mantra, words of advice, or favorite quote: Mystic samurai.
9. Name your favorite ISM: Solecism.
10. If you invented a recreational drug, what would it be called? Pier 1.
11. What’s the greatest thing the internet has given mankind? Netflix.
12. Who owes you something? My boss.
13. How would you run the zoo? More petting.
14. How do you kill time: Excavate Chinatown.
15. Favorite watering hole: Ciao for Now.
16. Are you looking for anyone you’ve lost contact with? (maybe we could help.) Beauty and the Geek on TV.
17. Do you need anything really bad? Not to want this sentence to have correct grammar.
18. Any tips for the kids? Donâ€™t try this at home.
19. Shout outs: Hi Thierry.
Name: Gae Savannah
Previous Post Next Post