KK (aka Karl Kotas), like every good artist, has a process. Of course his involves a mix of meditation and liquor, but these days it seems most creativity evolves from some level of imbibing. KK shows us some of his neo-Tiki imagery mixed with super colorful swaths of splattered paint and fascist symbols. KK keeps no secret about his disdain for fellow artist Mathew Barney although he appreciates the guyâ€™s ability to con. He also sees the Louvre as an â€˜art warehouseâ€™ and once got a standing ovation from his creative writing class. KK agreed to answer all our questions and display some of his newest work for the whole world to enjoy.
Tell us about how you make your art. What’s your process: I start out by trying to avoid any direct imagery. Then I overcome mental inertia by meditation and drinking booze. I make a stroke, and then I paint over the stroke. I paint around the stroke. Sometimes, I make something sexy or titillating. I try to be representative but then, I just spatter paint and inject some graphic iconography– either fascist, corporate logos, Japanese lettering, Nordic runes, or symbols and then destroy them. I work subconsciously without any intervention by the conscious mind or intellect.
Who is your Art for? It is for people whoâ€™s musical tastes range from Captain Beefheart to trance and down-tempo and are post-ideological with their politics. It is for people who like nd the class broke into applause and gave me an impromptu standing ovation. (I guess thatâ€™s sort of unfortunate, because Iâ€™m not a writer.)
What is your Art supposed to do? My art is like a mandala, or meditative object. It is supposed to induce an altered state of consciousness.
What is your art worth? Itâ€™s worth a million dollars, but it will cost you a little less.
What single work of art would you most like to destroy? That famous painting of the dogs playing poker.
Name one crappy “Artist”: Mathew Barney– his â€œartâ€ is just a bunch of movie props and the movies are boring. I give him credit for pulling it off, though. Now name another one: The politically-correct â€œvictimâ€ artists of the early-nineties.
Best museum: Guggenheimâ€”you got to give them props for the Cremaster thing. Worst museum: The Louvre – itâ€™s like an art warehouse.
Describe the finest moment of your artistic endeavors: I read a short story of mine to a creative writing class and the class broke into applause and gave me an impromptu standing ovation. (I guess thatâ€™s sort of unfortunate, because Iâ€™m not a writer.)
NOW GET DOWN AND GIVE US 19
1. Favorite ANIMAL: My dog, Kiki.
2. What gets you excited? Shiny, shiny boots of leather
3. Worst Job: Bathroom attendant in a strip club. Dream job: DJ in a strip club.
4. Best kept secret about NYC: El Quijote on 23d St. Totally retro atmosphere, tapas and cheap martinis.
5. What would you do if you found ALLOT of cash in a cab? Take the cabbie to Old Homestead Steakhouse and keep the rest.
6. Favorite website: YouTube. Most embarrassing favorite website: MySpace
7. Early bird or night owl? Early Bird.
8. Motto, mantra, words of advice, or favorite quote: â€œOnce a man is known for being an early riser, he can sleep until noonâ€ â€“ Mark Twain.
9. Name your favorite ISM. Surrealism â€“ hands down!
10. If you invented a recreational drug, what would it be called? CiagraX.
11. What’s the greatest thing the internet has given mankind? You can instantly solve a bet by looking up the answer on google.
12. Who owes you something? A DJ friend of mine still has a stack of my records from 12 years ago. But it doesnâ€™t matter, because I donâ€™t own a turntable any more.
13. How would you run the zoo? Like God, and set them all free.
14. How do you kill time? Reading religious tracts.
15. Favorite watering hole: Passerby.
16. Are you looking for anyone you’ve lost contact with (maybe we could help)? A girl from Windsor, Ontario that I really liked.
17. Do you need anything really bad? A foot massage.
18. Any tips for the kids? Conserve your â€œchiâ€ while youâ€™re young and youâ€™ll look as good as me when youâ€™re old.
19. Shout outs: Sloopy, Bags, Das, Joe A Go Go, Cob & Bonnie, Nedelch, Boon, El Nerdio, Young DP, Chef Boy R Dee, Little KK, Drunkatelli, Pork & Spam, Pornfeld, Pauly D, Mom.
Previous Post Next Post