Colombian Artist Asphyxiates During Performance

05.03.11 Marina Galperina

DIED25-year-old performance artist John Jairo Villamil died in ICU in Bogotá this week after a performance gone horribly wrong. As he convulsed on the floor with his head inside a garbage bag and his feet in a bucket of water, his audience thought it was all part of the act.

The university student has performed this piece before without incident, but now the parents are blaming the school for negligence. The tragic incident should tip off all you boundary-pushing types – get someone to keep an eye on you who can tell the difference between deliberately risky happenings and the possibly fatal ones. Before you get someone to watch your dangerous performance, get someone to watch your back.

Survival tips from boundary-pushing types are welcome.