Majority of New Yorkers Support Weed, Don’t Trust The Federal Government

November 5, 2014 | Bucky Turco

In its coverage of the midterm elections last night, NY1 conducted exit polls all across the city. The local news organization surveyed 575 people from 20 polling sites and for the most part, the data indicates that New York City is still a lot more blue than red. Here’s the breakdown on some of the top issues:


As the medical marijuana industry gets ready to come to New York State, 57 percent of New Yorkers who responded said recreational use of the drug should be legalized, while 40 percent said it should not be legalized.


Seventy-six percent of New Yorkers polled said climate change is a serious problem, while 24 percent said it is not.

99 Percent

Voters were also asked which group they thought the U.S. economic system favored, and 69 percent of New Yorkers said it favors the wealthy, while 23 percent said it is fair.


According to exit polls, 72 percent said those here illegally should be offered a chance to apply for legal status, while 28 percent said they should be deported.


In addition, only 17 percent of voters think they can trust the federal government to do what is right most of the time. A whopping 81 percent think that’s true only some or none of the time.

(Original photo: Don Goofy)